Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Google Chrome OS
Some days back Google announced its much rumoured operating system under Chrome Project. This new development creates few new possibilities.
1. Is Google really serious to take Microsoft by its horn ?? I don’t think so. Just like MSN Search/Live/Bing can not compete with google search.Google OS will always be a minion in comparison to Windows.
2. Will Chrome OS actually be a browser shell for an instant-on pre-boot environment ?? As the reports says this OS is natural extension of Chrome Browser project it si quite possible.Google is investing loads of money in Cloud Computing infrastructure under project “Google App Engine”. This will enable developers to deploy there webapps on google infrastructure and end users can directly access these apps through browser. This reminds me famous presentation presentation of klaus “Knoppix” knopper, Future of computing LinuxAsia2006
3. If so, has Google gone insane ?? does not all this my data and apps on Google server sounds a bit scary.
4. If not , will it be a full-fledge Linux distribution like the mythical Goobuntu Google purportedly uses internally ?? Is it a reasonable path to take ?? I mean there are already hundreds of linux variants available . Will it not be better to put your weight behind a well establised community project.
5. How Adobe fits in this project ?? Adobe is the only strategic partner company in this project which does softwares. Obviously for flash platform but uptill now google was encouraging developers to embrace HTML5 ,XHTML standards and Ajax for RIA applications (GWT Project). So why this sudden flash love. Is it a short term goal as in instant future flash is big technology. Or google has long terms goals with flash/flex/AIR ??
i hope this new project will trigger a shake-up in operating system dynamics and how applications are delivered to the end-users.Lets wait and watch what happens next
Posted by Asif Mohd at 8:12 PM